Monday, November 10, 2008

Ryusei no Kizuna ep1


Nino and Toda Erika in the same dorama! Both of them are good actors in my book with Nino being the only Johnny besides SMAP who can act. Plus the story is about 3 siblings who want revenge for their parent's murder! Sounds like Byakuyako meets Sleeping Forest with a third wheel who can't act. I'm all for dark, gloomy, mystery doramas anytime! The beginning was cool enough; flashback to childhood, kids going on secret trip only to come home to find parents murdered. I was excited.



Then came the bright happy intro song which was so out of place. It was so jarring that it set of alarm bells in my head. Next was this scene with Nino and Ryo and Nino's boss. The camera didn't feel like a serious dorama but rather a comedy. It had stupid comedy music and some conversation about the boss' wife that was not the least bit funny. We just saw the kids' parents getting killed and now why have unfunny sitcom comedy.



It was then that I realised what Ryusei no Kizuno was. It was a comedy built from a dramatic premise which IMO has very little chance of working out. If the premise of a show is not even mildly amusing, how can it be funny? If they wanted to do a comedy with serious parts, ie Mukodono, the serious/dramatic bits need to flow from the comedic premise. Its like the realistic prologue of the kids somehow leads into this overacting sitcom world.



Ryusei no Kizuno felt so disjointed that I couldn't even bear to watch the rest of the first episode. Of course, I should not judge the show just because it was not what I wanted it to be but I'm pretty sure the fact that I didn't laugh during the first half of the show is a good enough reason for me to drop this show. Sigh, I want to watch more Toda Erika but between this and Code Blue, she needs to seriously reconsider doing doramas with Johnnys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...