Thursday, April 24, 2008

Saito-san Eps 1+2


I remember someone saying that Saito-san was probably the best dorama from last season. A dorama about a mom who likes to speak her mind? If there were two genres I try to avoid, it would be mother-in-law and suburban mom shows. This probably led me to think that last season was pretty bad. I mean, how good could a show about a nagging mom be?


So far from two episodes, Saito-san is a very good show because its not really not a show about a mom who likes to speak her mind. Its a show about politics of power set in the suburbs with a kindergarten as the battlefield. Its a show about a single person's ability to take action versus a group mentality of accepting things as they are. Saito-san is about doing what's right versus pleasing everyone and fitting in.


Saito-san is like a force of nature. The other moms want to get rid of her but she just exists. Mizuki Arisa is perfectly casted as Saito-san. She's got this aura about her. But Saito-san would not be Saito san without Mimura as Mano-san. Mano-san is the opposite of Saito-san. She tries way too hard to fit in get everyone to accept her. She has such a huge fear of being rejected by the other moms that its sickening. She's like the weakest of the weak that I just despised her.


However, she's the only one of the moms who sees that Saito-san is right although her fear of the others prevents her from speaking up. This makes Saito-san an emphatic figure without making her a failure as the audience projects their frustrations on Mano-san. We see Saito-san through Mano-san's eyes, hating her cowardice but ultimately cheering her on.


I still can't believe how engrossing this show is. Maybe its just me wanting to see Saito-san lay the smackdown on those spoiled high school kids. Nothing pisses me off than kids who think the world owes them a living. If you have not watched this show, do so. I'm slowly catching up on my doramas (at the expense of my gaming) and this year seems to be a pretty good year for doramas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...